On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Amalfi
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Grow Your Own
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Matt Dawson makes this Indian favourite packed full of veg with a cooling raita on the side
Method1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the cumin seeds and sizzle for about 20 secs. Add the onion and fry until golden – about 5-7 mins.
2. Mix the garlic and ginger with 2 tablespoons of water, add to the onions, and continue cooking for another 30 secs. Stir in the cauliflower, carrot, red pepper and beans and fry for 3-4 mins.
3. Add the turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala followed by the tomatoes and sugar. Pour over 150ml water and bring everything to a simmer – cook for about 15 mins, without a lid, until the vegetables are tender.
4. You might need to add a dash more water if the curry looks a bit dry. Sharpen with a squeeze of lime and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
5. While the curry is cooking, mix all the ingredients for the raita. Serve the balti with Indian flatbreads or rice and yogurt on the side.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 25 g ginger, finely grated
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 100 g green beans, chopped into 3cm lengths
- ¾ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1x400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
For the raita