On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - South Australia Part I
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- 22:00 - The River Cottage Treatment - The River Cottage Treatment
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- 6, as a starter
Antonio Carluccio makes his favourite, simple yet versatile antipasti of hard-boiled eggs filled with tuna mayonnaise and capers, great for any occasion
Method1. For the eggs: place the eggs in a medium pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and hard boil them for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. For the mayonnaise: beat the egg yolks in a small bowl with a pinch of salt, the mustard and a squeeze of lemon. Beat until you have a creamy consistency.
Whisking continuously, slowly add a trickle of olive oil. Once the sauce is blended thoroughly, add all the oil a little at a time until it has thickened. Gradually add the remaining lemon juice, checking for flavour. Season to taste, cover until needed.
3. Peel the eggs under water for ease, cut in half. Remove the yolks and set the cooked whites aside.
4. For the filling: put the yolks in a medium bowl, mashing them with a fork. Mix with the tuna, capers and a little mayonnaise. Form balls the size of the original yolks and place these in the empty egg-white halves. Cover with more mayonnaise.
5. For the garnish: decorate with capers and gherkin slices
For the eggs
- 6 large eggs
For the mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tsp French mustard
- ½ lemons, juice only
- 100 ml olive oil, (not extra virgin)
For the filling
- 150 g good quality tinned tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 12 large salted capers, soak in cold water for 15mins, drained well and chopped
- capers, sliced
- gherkins, thinly sliced
Tips and suggestions
- If you are in a hurry you can buy a good quality mayonnaise rather than making your own.
Salted capers are much better than pickled as these tend to hold their acidic flavour.