On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 4
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Tarts
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs 40 min
At home, Theo Randall sets his Italian predilections aside for this rich, warming classic of French country cuisine
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/Gas 3. Heat some oil in a heavy-based casserole and cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, season the flour with salt and pepper and toss the cubed beef in it until coated. Once you have removed the bacon, add the beef to the pan (working in batches if necessary) and brown on all sides. Remove the meat and set aside.
3. Add the onion, garlic and carrot to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, thyme leaves and bay, then return the beef and bacon to the pan. Bring to a simmer.
4. Pour in the red wine and stock and return the pan to a simmer. Add the pearl onions then cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 3 hours. Check from time to time and turn down the oven if you feel the stew is cooking too quickly. If preferred, you can also cook the bourguignon on the stovetop for the same amount of time, keeping it at a low simmer.
5. Remove the casserole from the heat and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- olive oil
- 100 g smoked streaky bacon, cut into 2cm lardons
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 600 g beef chuck steak, cut into 4cm cubes
- 2 small red onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled but left whole
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 bay leaf
- 375 ml red wine
- 200 ml beef stock
- 12 pearl onions, peeled but left whole
Tips and suggestions
- Red burgundy is the traditional wine to use in this casserole. Those made from pinot noir can be very pricey, but you could also choose a wine made from gamay, or another light red variety.