On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 20:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Simple Classics
- 21:00 - River Cottage - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 3
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min, plus resting
Juicy beef wrapped in mushroom-filled golden pastry, who can resist this British classic from Matt Dawson
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Season beef all over with salt and pepper. Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pan and sear the beef on all sides (around 2 – 3 minutes on each side), keeping the roundness of the beef, and then set aside to rest.
2. Peel and crush the garlic cloves, and thinly slice the shallots. Pick some fresh thyme. Melt a large knob of butter in a frying pan and then gently fry the shallots and garlic until just softening. Add in a large sprinkle of picked thyme leaves and continue to gently fry.
3. Blitz the mushrooms for a couple of minutes until chopped small then add to the frying pan and leave to cook over a medium heat until any water is evaporated.
4. Add a good glug of Madeira and continue to cook until that has reduced away. Pour in 130ml of the cream and stir into the mixture, then continue to cook until it has reduced away. You should end up with a thick mushroom pate, put this into a bowl and set aside to cool.
5. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface, and then smooth the mushroom pate over the top. Place the beef on top of this, and then wrap and crimp the pastry around the beef.
6. Beat the egg with the remaining double cream and then use it to brush over the pastry, and then put into the oven for about 25 minutes until golden and crisp. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.