On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians: Still Hungry - The Alps and Arrangiarsi
- 21:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cakes
- 21:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Food in the Wild
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Maria Elia’s favourite recipe for a light, fluffy, cream, buttery, smooth and comforting mash is this one from Sandrine, one of her chefs
Method1. Place the potatoes in a steamer and steam until cooked, about 30 minutes. Shake any excess water from the potatoes and place them in a pan or flat-bottomed bowl.
2. Heat the milk and cream together in a small saucepan with a sage leaf until hot and aromatic but not boiling. Add the butter to the potatoes and using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until lump-free. Alternatively you could pass them through a ricer or mouli if you own one, then mix in the butter.
3. Pour in the hot cream/milk and beat with a wooden spoon until soft and fluffy. Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 kg potatoes, such as Desirée, King Edward or Maris Piper, cut in 4cm pieces
- 125 g butter, diced
- 75 ml hot double cream or milk
- 1 sprig of sage, (of a couple of leaves)
Tips and suggestions
- Choose a floury potato as waxy potatoes can be a little temperamental – you need to work quite quickly with them and they can be a little gluey. The other really important point for making a good mash is that the cream or milk should be hot.
If you don’t own a steamer, place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with water. Drop in a pinch of salt, bring to the boil and simmer until tender for about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well before returning the potatoes to the pan and placing over a low heat. Leave for 1 minute or so to dry out. Turn off the heat, mix in the butter and continue as above in step 2.
For a flavoured mash you could infuse the cream while its warming with some strips of lemon zest, sprigs of rosemary or sage or 2 sliced garlic cloves, then strain before adding to the potatoes.
For a healthier version, substitute milk for the cream and olive oil for the butter.