Butternut squash and almond soup
By: From: James Martin's Mediterranean
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
James Martin's butternut squash soup is made with amaretti biscuits for depth of flavour
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 kg butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 120 ml dry white wine
- 500 ml vegetable or chicken stock, or water
- 150 ml double cream
- 5-6 amaretti biscuits
- squeeze lemon juice
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic and butternut squash. Cook for about 10 -15 mins in a covered pan until softened. Add the white wine and cook, uncovered, until most of it has evaporated.
2. Pour in the stock and cream, season, and simmer for 5 mins. Cool slightly then blend in a liquidiser with the amaretti biscuits.
3. For finishing, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the whole or shredded almonds until golden – stirring all the time. Set aside.
4. Return the soup to the pan, warm through, and sharpen with a squeeze of lemon juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl with a few almonds, a teaspoon of yogurt and snipped chives.