On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bakers - Teatime Treats
- 20:30 - The Hairy Bakers - Pies and Pasties
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 3
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
This classic spiced Indian curry by Real Food cook Jonny Thompson is served with cooling cucumber raita and a juicy tomato salad
Method1. For the prawn curry: pour the oil into a large frying pan or wok and place over a low to medium heat. Add the cumin seeds.
2. Meanwhile, place the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies into a food processor and blend to a fine paste. When the cumin seeds start to sizzle and release their aroma, add the paste to the oil.
3. Fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the paste is fragrant and golden-brown. Add a third of the chopped tomatoes, crushing any large pieces of tomato with the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Add the turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, salt, ground coriander, ground cumin and vinegar to pan and stir well. Fry until you have a thick paste. Add the prawns to cook for a few minutes.
5. Add the water to the curry and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the curry begins to look too dry, add a splash of water. Stir through the chopped coriander just before serving. Meanwhile, cook the rice.
6. For the rice: wash the rice and drain before placing into a pan with the water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the rice is al dente. Drain the rice and fluff up the grains with a fork.
7. For the cucumber raita: grate the cucumber into a bowl, then add the yogurt and mix well. Add a splash of water if the mixture is too thick. Season with salt to taste, then sprinkle with garam masala to garnish.
8. For the tomato salad: thinly slice the tomatoes, onions and chillies and toss together in a bowl with some salt. Stir through the chopped coriander.
9. Spoon the rice and prawn curry onto plates, and serve the tomato salad and raita in small bowls alongside.
For the prawn curry
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 onions, roughly chooped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2.5 cm root ginger
- 4 green chillies
- 1 canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 400 g raw king prawns, de-veined
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
For the tomato salad
For the cucumber raita