On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Party Food
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas
- 21:00 - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
Submitted by: ZoyaR15114
Submitted by: SamanthaR26241
Submitted by: meganK1877
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- makes 12
Who doesn’t love Kit Kats? Give them the attention they deserve with Lisa Harris’s Kit Kat-infused cupcake sponge, topped with chocolate frosting
Method1. For the sponge: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole tin with cupcake paper cases. Tip the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and butter into a food processor and blitz on a slow speed for one minute, until you achieve a sandy consistency.
2. Gradually pour in half of the milk and beat until just incorporated. Don’t worry if it looks a little messy at this stage – it will come together! In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining milk together with the egg, vanilla extract and coffee. Pour into the batter and beat for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl to catch any unmixed ingredients as you go. Lastly, gently fold through the crushed Kit Kat until thoroughly combined.
3. Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases, filling each one up two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when prodded with a finger. Leave to cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
4. For the frosting: tip the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a food processor and beat until well combined. Add the milk and then beat again for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.
5. When the sponges have cooled completely, carefully spoon a third of the frosting into a piping bag and use it to decorate the first four cupcakes. Repeat until you have finished them all. Alternatively, just use a palette knife to spread about 2 tbsp of frosting onto each cupcake.
6. Decorate with shards of Kit Kat, and maybe a sprinkle of crushed Kit Kat too.
For the sponge
- 100 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 145 g caster sugar
- 40 g butter, at room temperature
- 120 ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tsp hot water
- 3 Kit Kat chocolate bars, (six sticks altogether), crushed
For the chocolate frosting
- 225 g butter
- 350 g icing sugar, sifted
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 6 Kit Kat chocolate bars, (12 sticks altogether), to decorate
Tips and suggestions
- Don't worry if your cupcake comes out of the oven looking a little flat - it's supposed to happen! A flat sponge is ideal when it comes to frosting the cupcake.