Dad’s prawn curry
By: From: My Kitchen...
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Valentine Warner shares a recipe that his Father used to cook for him as a child, which has both French and Asian influences
- good pinch saffron strands
- 35 g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small bay leaves
- seeds from 10 green cardamom pods, crushed, husks reserved
- pinch turmeric
- 2 rounded tsp mild or medium curry powder, such as Bolst’s brand
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 75 ml vermouth
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1-2 green chilli, halved
- 600 g cooked peeled North Atlantic prawns
- 75-100 ml double cream
- small handful of flaked almonds, toasted, optional
- buttered rice, to serve
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the saffron in a teacup, pour over 1 tablespoon of hot water and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion with the bay leaves, cardamom seeds and husks, turmeric and curry powder, nutmeg and a large pinch of salt for 6 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, or until the onion softens and turns golden. Tip in the garlic, stirring constantly for a minute longer so as not to let the garlic burn. Pour in the vermouth and, just before it has all evaporated, tip in the coconut milk and the saffron with its water and 1 or 2 halved green chillies.
3. Turn off the heat. Put the prawns into the curry sauce, then put back on the heat, bringing it to a gentle simmer, but do not let it boil. Pour in the cream. Season to taste and scatter over the toasted almonds if wished. Serve with buttered rice.