English garden salad with homemade salad cream
By: From: My Kitchen...
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Michel Roux Jr and Michel Roux Snr
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers' Guide - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers Guide: Ep 8
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - On the Frontline
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Try making Matt Tebbutt's homemade rich salad dressing to transorm a simple traditional salad into something rather special
For the salad cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp English mustard powder
- 1 pinches white pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 500 ml double cream
- 100 ml malt vinegar
For the salad
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the salad cream: place the ingredients seasoned with 1tsp salt into a pyrex glass bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain marie style) and whisk for about 20 minutes or until the flour is cooked out and the salad cream is smooth and glossy. Remove and leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile prepare the salad. Chop the vegetables – slice the tomatoes, cut the rashines in half, slice the cucumber in half then into batons, remove the seeds. Divide the lettuce leaves and plate onto a serving platter with the spring onions, laying everything out in a pretty way. Season with salt and pepper. Add the eggs into bitesize pieces and place in the serving platter.
3. Drizzle over the cooled salad dressing and serve immediately.