Aubergine and spiced chickpeas
By: From: My Kitchen...
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
- 4 as part of a tapas dinner
Angela Hartnett creates a punchy vegetarian tapas dish bustling with great textures and tastes
- 2 aubergines
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled, roughly crushed
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, plus 2 tbsps for dusting the chickpeas
- 250 g jar roasted mixed peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 handfuls coriander leaves, chopped
- 400 g best quality jarred or tinned cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and pierce the aubergines a few times with a fork and then place on a baking tray with the garlic and rosemary. Roast until the skins are black and the flesh really soft.
2. Peel the cooked aubergines, discard the skins and scoop out all the flesh, Roughly chop and add to a hot oiled pan. Sauté the flesh and sprinkle with ½ tsp ground cumin and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix well until the flesh is completely broken down and smooth, taste and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Add the chopped peppers to the aubergine. Stir and finish with a handful of chopped coriander.
4. Mix together 2 tbsp ground cumin and 1 tsp fine salt and scatter on a plate.
5. Make sure the chickpeas are really dry and then deep fry in batches in a heated deep fat fryer or pan of hot oil. Fry for about 2 minutes or until the chickpeas are coloured lightly and the skins have popped and cracked a little. Remove and put directly onto the plate with the cumin salt on. Roll around to cover them. Repeat with the remaining chickpeas.
6. Put the aubergine into a serving bowl and top with the fried chickpeas. Serve any extra chickpeas in a bowl on the side.