On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 2)
- 20:30 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 3)
- 21:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 4)
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus chilling time for butter
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Angela Hartnett shares her recipe for juicy steaks topped with melting butter flavoured with fresh herbs and garlic
Method1. For the herby butter – Mix the chopped garlic, parsley, tarragon, lemon zest and butter together in a bowl. Place the mixture on a sheet of cling film and then roll it up to form a cylinder. Twist the ends of the cling film to keep the butter tightly packed and leave it in the fridge to chill for an hour.
2. Heat a griddle pan until hot and add a little drizzle of oil just before cooking.
3. Season the steaks with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and add to the pan. Once it is in the pan, rotate on each side once and turn once. Cook for 4-6 minutes, turning halfway through, depending on whether you prefer your steak rare or medium. Render the fat on the edges by tipping the steak up on its side before finishing cooking. Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest for a few minutes
4. When ready to serve, slice the herby garlic butter and place a piece over the steaks. If the steaks need warming up slightly to melt the butter then place them in a preheated oven (180C/160C fan/gas 4) for 2-3 minutes which should be just enough time to melt the butter and reheat the meat.
For the herby butter
- 2-4 garlic cloves, chopped, to taste
- 1/2 bunches flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 bunch tarragon, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, zest
- 140 g butter, at room temperature
For the steaks
Tips and suggestions
- It’s useful to keep some of this parsley butter in the freezer, ready to use on steak.
If you don't have a griddle pan, use a frying pan and add a knob of butter along with the oil.