Spicy lamb burgers with relish
By: From: Matt and Allegra's Big Farm
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Matt Dawson makes a punchy relish made from chilli and red onion, then dollop a splodge on top of homemade burgers
For the tomato chilli relish
- 25 g butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red chilli, with seeds, finely chopped
- 400 g plum tomatoes, skinned and de-seeded
- 120 ml red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp tomato puree
For the lamb burgers
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the relish: Melt the butter in a saucepan and soften the chopped onion and chilli for 3-4 minutes without colouring.
2. Add the prepared tomatoes to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes before pouring in the vinegar and adding the sugar and tomato puree. Cook the relish down until thick and sticky. Serve warm or at room temperature with the burgers.
3. For the burgers: Heat one tablespoon of the oil and fry the onion until softened but not coloured. Leave on one side to cool. Add the onion to the minced lamb along with the cumin, beaten egg, and a generous seasoning of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Divide the mince into six portions and shape into patties. Dip each one in seasoned flour and fry in the remaining one tablespoon oil for 5-6 minutes on each side – until cooked through. Serve inside a split hamburger or ciabatta roll if liked.
For quality ingredients look for a quality mark. Red Tractor beef and lamb is responsibly produced and provenance guaranteed.
Red Tractor beef and lamb: it’s a Good Food Story.