On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 30 minutes refigeration
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- makes 12
A swirl of white chocolate and fresh vanilla frosting is an elegant finish to Charlotte Morgan’s double chocolate cupcake
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Don't worry if your cupcake comes out of the oven looking a little flat - it's supposed to happen! A flat sponge is ideal when it comes to frosting the cupcake.
For the sponge
- 100 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 145 g golden caster sugar
- 40 g butter, at room temperature
- 120 ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tsp hot water
For the white chocolate frosting
- 280 g butter, at room temperature
- 280 g icing sugar, sifted
- 200 g white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds removed
- Dark, milk and white chocolate buttons, if desired
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the sponge: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole tin with cupcake paper cases. Tip the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and butter into a food processor and blitz on a slow speed for one minute, until you achieve a sandy consistency.
2. Gradually pour in half of the milk and beat until just incorporated. Don’t worry if it looks a little messy at this stage – it will come together! In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining milk together with the egg, vanilla extract and coffee. Pour into the batter and beat for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl to catch any unmixed ingredients as you go.
3. Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases, filling each one up two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when prodded with a finger. Leave to cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
4. For the frosting: Tip the butter and icing sugar into a food processor and beat until well combined. Using a spoon, fold through the white chocolate and vanilla seeds until well combined. Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.
5. When the sponges have cooled completely, carefully spoon a third of the frosting into a piping bag and use it to decorate the first four cupcakes. Repeat until you have finished them all. Alternatively, just use a palette knife to spread about 2 tbsp of frosting onto each cupcake.
6. Decorate with chocolate buttons, if desired.