On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - South Australia Part II
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Pies
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
Submitted by: julie
- Prep time:
- 45 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
This recipe from London's Mychelle's Baketique takes the classic girl scout treat of melted marshmallows in a sandwich of sweet graham crackers, and reworks it into a delicious cupcake
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. To make the base: In a bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter and honey and mix. Place enough of this mixture (about one teaspoon) in individual cupcakes cases sat in a cupcake tray. Press down with your fingers or the back of a teaspoon to form smooth crust. Sprinkle chopped chocolate over each crust to form another layer. Put this in the oven for about 3-5 minutes.
3. To make the batter: In a bowl combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and hot water. Add gradually to the dry mixture until smooth batter forms. Divide the finished batter between each cupcake mould ¾ of the way to the top.
4. Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the centre comes out dry. Leave to cool.
5. In a bain marie, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Heat the mixture on a low-medium heat and beat constantly with a hand mixer until smooth peaks begin to form. Mix in the vanilla extract.
6. Once the cupcakes are cooled completely, ice them as normal. Add mini marshmallows, almonds and chocolate chunks as a garnish. To finish off the look use a blow torch or a lighter to slightly melt the marshmallows and chocolate.
Courtesy of Mychelle's Baketique.
For the base:
- 350 g graham cracker crumbs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 runny honey
- 100 g chocolate, finely chopped
For the batter:
- 250 g caster sugar
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml milk
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 240 ml hot water, from the kettle
For the marshmallow frosting:
- 8 egg whites
- 450 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows, chopped almonds, chopped chunks of chocolate, to garnish
Tips and suggestions
- If you can’t find graham crackers, try substituting digestive biscuits (which you can break into crumbs by placing in a clear food bag and bashing with a rolling pin). Also, if you don’t own a bain marie (also known as a double boiler), you can use a glass bowl suspended over a saucepan of boiling water – just make sure the water and the bowl don’t touch.