On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Puglia
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Summer Pleasures
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
The distinctive aroma and flavour of cardamom is a superb match for rich chocolate in Maria Elia’s cake recipe
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease six 8x3cm/3x1.5in cake moulds and dust with cocoa powder.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of just-simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl), stirring occasionally until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the bowl and whisk until well combined.
4. Dry-roast the cardamom pods in a hot frying pan over a high heat, stirring constantly to prevent the pods from burning. Heat until the pods burst open, then remove from the heat. Discard the husks and grind the seeds to a fine powder using a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
5. Sift together the ground cardamom, flour, cocoa powder and salt, then fold into the egg and chocolate mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared moulds and place onto a baking tray.
6. Bake the cakes for 10-12 minutes, or until risen but still slightly fudgy in the middle. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, gently turn out onto serving plates.
7. For the calvados crème fraîche: mix the calvados into the crème fraîche until well combined.
8. To serve, place a spoonful of calvados crème fraîche alongside each cake.