Cardamom chocolate cake with calvados crème fraîche
By: From: Perfect...
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
The distinctive aroma and flavour of cardamom is a superb match for rich chocolate in Maria Elia’s cake recipe
For the cake
- 150 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 25 g bitter cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 150 g bitter dark chocolate, 75%
- 3 eggs
- 215 g caster sugar
- 12 cardamom pods
- 75 g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
For the calvados crème fraîche
- 150 ml creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp calvados
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease six 8x3cm/3x1.5in cake moulds and dust with cocoa powder.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of just-simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl), stirring occasionally until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the bowl and whisk until well combined.
4. Dry-roast the cardamom pods in a hot frying pan over a high heat, stirring constantly to prevent the pods from burning. Heat until the pods burst open, then remove from the heat. Discard the husks and grind the seeds to a fine powder using a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
5. Sift together the ground cardamom, flour, cocoa powder and salt, then fold into the egg and chocolate mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared moulds and place onto a baking tray.
6. Bake the cakes for 10-12 minutes, or until risen but still slightly fudgy in the middle. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, gently turn out onto serving plates.
7. For the calvados crème fraîche: mix the calvados into the crème fraîche until well combined.
8. To serve, place a spoonful of calvados crème fraîche alongside each cake.