On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Timber
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - A Day at the Races
- 21:00 - Paul Hollywood's Bread - Soda Bread
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Crumbles don't get much more comforting than this one from Bill Granger - the fruitiness of it livened up with vanilla and lemon zest
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Place the apples, blackberries, caster sugar, vanilla seeds, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of the flour in a bowl and toss well to combine. Put the brown sugar, baking powder, oats and the remaining flour in a bowl and mix well. Drop in the butter and rub with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. If there are a few big lumps it really doesn’t matter.
2. Divide the blackberry mixture between 2 ovenproof dishes or bowls and top with the crumble mix. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- 2 apples, cored, peeled and diced
- 330 g blackberries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds removed
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 125 g plain flour
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 100 g cold butter, diced
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- This crumble is really quick as you don’t cook the fruit beforehand. It all cooks together in the oven.
You could use any seasonal fruit.
Make sure the butter is cold when you are making the crumble topping or it will not form properly and result in a heavy crumble.