On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 2
- 21:00 - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner
- 22:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 1
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Crunchy deep-fried vermicelli is the base for Aaron Craze’s tangy version of this Chinese takeaway favourite
Method1. For the pork: toss the cubed meat pork in the five-spice until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, then fry the meat in a little oil until golden. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Mix the egg and two flours together with just enough water to make a thick batter. Add the cooled pork and stir until all the pieces are coated.
3. Fill a wok one-quarter full of vegetable oil and heat it until a piece of bread turns golden brown after 15 seconds in the oil. Deep-fry the battered pork in batches until golden and crisp. Drain and set aside – you can keep the pork warm in a low oven while you make the sauce.
4. For the noodles: working in batches, drop the vermicelli into the hot oil in which you fried the pork – they will puff up immediately. Set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
5. For the sauce: pour 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the pan the pork was cooked in and place over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, then the red pepper, spring onions and ginger and stir-fry for a few minutes.
6. Add the vinegar, caster sugar, glucose syrup, tomato purée, soy sauce and 160ml of water. Cook together for a minute or so, then mix the cornflour to a paste with a little water and pour this into the sauce.
7. Add the fried pork pieces and the pineapple chunks and juice and stir well. Toss the coriander through the sauce.
8. Spoon the sweet and sour pork over the deep-fried noodles and garnish with basil leaves before serving.
For the pork
- 1 pinches chinese five spice
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 egg
- 70 g plain flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 600 g pork shoulder
For the noodles
- 150-200 g vermicelli, or bean thread noodles
For the sauce
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin triangles
- 2 spring onions, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2.5 cm root ginger, peeled and shredded
- 1 small can of pineapple chunk, in juice, about 200g
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp glucose syrup
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 handfuls coriander leaves
- 1 handfuls leaves of basil