From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus resting
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Fontina cheese, fried aubergines and a great big whack of chilli makes Edith Bowman’s bake a little out of the ordinary
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/gas 6. Slice the aubergine and sprinkle with salt; leave for about 30 minutes to draw out as much moisture as possible. Remove excess water with a piece of kitchen towel.
2. In a saucepan gently fry garlic and parsley stalks in some olive oil. Add the tomatoes and chipotle chilli and cook for a few minutes. Season to taste and blend to your desired consistency.
3. Lay the seasoned flour and beaten eggs in separate bowls. Dip the aubergine into the flour, then in the egg before gently frying the slices in some olive oil.
4. Once they have all been cooked put to one side on kitchen roll to remove excess oil.
5. In an ovenproof dish, ladle a spoonful of the tomato sauce then a layer of the aubergines and cover with fontina cheese, more tomato sauce then parmesan cheese. Repeat the layering until you have run out of ingredients. The final layer should be tomato sauce dotted with fontina and lots of parmesan. Bake in oven for about 25 - 30 minutes.