On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat with the Most
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus resting
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Fontina cheese, fried aubergines and a great big whack of chilli makes Edith Bowman’s bake a little out of the ordinary
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/gas 6. Slice the aubergine and sprinkle with salt; leave for about 30 minutes to draw out as much moisture as possible. Remove excess water with a piece of kitchen towel.
2. In a saucepan gently fry garlic and parsley stalks in some olive oil. Add the tomatoes and chipotle chilli and cook for a few minutes. Season to taste and blend to your desired consistency.
3. Lay the seasoned flour and beaten eggs in separate bowls. Dip the aubergine into the flour, then in the egg before gently frying the slices in some olive oil.
4. Once they have all been cooked put to one side on kitchen roll to remove excess oil.
5. In an ovenproof dish, ladle a spoonful of the tomato sauce then a layer of the aubergines and cover with fontina cheese, more tomato sauce then parmesan cheese. Repeat the layering until you have run out of ingredients. The final layer should be tomato sauce dotted with fontina and lots of parmesan. Bake in oven for about 25 - 30 minutes.
- 1 aubergine
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- bunch flat leaf parsley, stalks
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp chopped chipotle chillies
- 100 g seasoned flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Fontina cheese, sliced or grated depending on what you prefer
- freshly grated parmesan
Tips and suggestions
- Fontina is a cow's milk Italian cheese.