On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Chicago Edition: Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, Beef, Manny's Delicatessan
- 20:30 - You Gotta Eat Here - Rock Lobster, Harper's Burger Bar, Casa Calzone
- 21:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Stoneface Dolly's, Hadley's, Rick's Fish and Chips and Seafood House
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Sophie Dahl spices her Victoria sponge up with a zesty iced orange topping and homemade raspberry jam. Who could resist? Top 10 Victoria sponge recipes
Method1. For the sponge: preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/gas 6. Grease the tins, line the bottom of both with grease proof paper and then lightly flour them.
2. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
3. Mix the eggs together in a separate bowl then pour them into your mixer.
4. Sieve in the flour.
5. Add the orange zest.
6. Split the mixture evenly between the two cake tins and then bake in the oven for around 25- 30 minutes until they are golden brown and feel slightly springy on top.
7. For the jam: put the raspberries, orange juice and heaped tablespoon of golden caster sugar into a small pan. Heat gently and allow to slowly break down and reduce into a jammy consistency, then leave to cool.
8. For the icing: mix the softened butter with the sieved icing sugar, juice of ½ an orange and the zest of a whole orange
9. When the cakes are cool – spread some icing on to the top of one sponge, then some jam, then sandwich them together and spread the remaining buttercream over the top. Zest over a little more orange to serve.
For the sponge
- 225 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225 g golden caster sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 large orange, zest only
For the jam
- 250 g raspberries
- splash orange juice, (use the orange from the sponge)
- 1 heaped tbsp golden caster sugar
For the icing