On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Corsica and Sardinia
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Pastry
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus 30 minutes resting time
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
Maria Elia serves up her version of one of America’s favourite breakfast or brunch dishes
Method1. For the pancake batter: in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, then stir in the apple. Sift in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt, sprinkle over the oatmeal and fold in until just combined, adding a little more milk if necessary. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator to rest the batter for 30 minutes.
2. For the cabbage: Preheat the oven to 190C/170Cfan/gas 5.
3. Put the cabbage on a large sheet of tinfoil, top with onion, garlic, thyme, maple syrup and cider vinegar. Dot with the butter and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Seal the foil edges, put the packet on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes.
4. Heat a little butter in a heavy-based non-stick frying pan, add spoonfuls of pancake batter and cook until the pancakes begin to bubble on the surface, then flip them over and continue to cook till golden.
5. Cook the bacon on a griddle until done to your liking.
6. To serve, put the pancakes on serving plates, top with apple sauce, braised cabbage, bacon and crème fraiche and drizzle with maple syrup.
For the pancake batter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 220 ml milk, plus a little extra if necessary
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 200 g buckwheat flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp oatmeal
- butter, for frying
For the braised cabbage
- 1 small/medium savoy cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 75 ml cider vinegar
- 100 g butter, diced
- 12 slices lean bacon
- apple sauce
- 6 bags maple syrup
- thick creme fraiche