On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Classic comfort food from the people who taught Jamie Oliver everything he knows – his parents, Sally and Trevor
Method1. Dissolve the stock cube in 400ml of boiling water.
2. Melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and fry over a medium/low heat for 10 minutes, or until softened but not coloured. Add the beef mince and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until brown.
3. Add the tomato purée, worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, then stir and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the heat up to high and add the red wine. Let it bubble away and reduce for 5 minutes then add the stock and reduce to a medium heat. Simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring often.
4. Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into halves and quarters so they’re all a fairly even size. Cook in a pan of boiling, salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain in a colander and leave to steam dry.
5. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
6. Taste the mince and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Transfer it to an ovenproof dish (approximately 20cm by 30cm).
7. Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper then spread over the top of the mince. Finely grate over a little parmesan cheese then cook for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve with buttered peas or a simple side salad.
Recipe provided by Kallo
- 1 beef stock, such as Kallo organic
- 50 g butter
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery, trimmed and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 kg good quality minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops tabasco
- 175 ml red wine
For the mash topping