On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Spicy Sichuan
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Cooking for Friends and Family
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 30 minutes chilling
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 15 min
Forget vanilla and strawberry – Galton Blackiston whips up a proper rustic ice cream with strong stout and crunchy crumble
Method1. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting.
2. For the brown bread crumble: place the orange peel on a baking tray and dry in the oven for two hours.
3. Transfer the dried orange peel to a food processor along with the bread pieces and sugar and pulse to a crumble consistency. Set aside.
4. For the stout ice cream: place the stout into a heavy-based pan, bring to the boil and simmer until the volume of the stout has reduced by half. Remove from the heat.
5. In another heavy-based pan, add the cream and milk with the vanilla pod and seeds. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the vanilla pod and discard.
6. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and smooth.
7. Add the reduced stout to the milk and cream mixture, then return the pan to the heat and bring back to a simmer. Slowly pour the warm mixture over the egg and sugar, whisking continuously, until well combined. Return the mixture to the pan and set over a low heat. Cook, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and pass the custard mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and set aside to cool (you may want to place a layer of cling film over the custard to prevent a skin from forming).
9. When completely cooled, churn the custard mixture in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon the ice cream into a freezer-proof container and chill until needed.
10. Serve the ice cream in scoops with the brown bread crumble sprinkled over.
For the ice cream
- 300 ml stout
- 600 ml double cream
- 150 ml full-fat milk
- 1/2 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped out
- 4 egg yolks
- 175 g caster sugar
For the crumble
- 1 orange, peel only, cut into 2cm wide strips, pith removed
- 1-2 slices dried brown bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar