On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat Glorious Meat
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Inspired by a traditional northern recipe, Matt Tebbutt prepares a rich, fragrant cheesecake
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/Gas 3. Grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin.
2. For the base: melt the butter. Blitz the biscuits in a blender until they are the texture of crumbs. Stir together the butter and biscuits (melting and adding a little more butter if you feel the mixture is too dry). Press into the bottom of the cake tin in an even layer.
3. For the filling: soak the raisins in the rum with a little hot water while you get on with the rest of the recipe.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the Yorkshire curd with an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, then add the sugar and mix well until incorporated.
5. Add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla seeds and the zests of the lemon and orange and mix well, until there are no lumps. Fold in the soaked raisins then pour the filling into the prepared cake tin.
6. Bake the cheesecake in the centre of the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until golden on top and just firm in the middle.
For the base
- 50 g butter
- 175 g digestive or gingernut biscuits
For the filling
- 100 g raisins
- 2-3 tbsp rum
- 1 kg curd cheese, preferably Yorkshire
- 6 eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 orange, zest only
Tips and suggestions
- Yorkshire curd should not be confused with cream cheese or cottage cheese. It is traditionally used in Yorkshire curd tarts and must be cooked before eating.