Oven-roasted chicken stuffed with foie gras
On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus resting
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Hélène Darroze stuffs her chicken with foie gras, cèpes and macaroni for a truly decadent roast
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Espelette, also the name of one of Hélène Darroze's restaurants at The Connaught, is a variety of chilli pepper cultivated in France. If you can't get hold of it, try paprika instead.
For the filling
- 500-600 g duck foie gras, cut into 2cm dice
- espelette pepper
- 350 g cep mushrooms, cut into 2cm dice
- duck fat, for frying
- 400 g coquillettes pasta, (small macaroni)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 ml olive oil
- 1 bunch flat parsley, finely chopped
For the chicken
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the filling: season the foie gras cubes with salt and Espelette pepper and brown them in a very hot non-stick pan until golden brown on all sides. You do not need to add any fat to the pan. When ready, drain the cubes on absorbent kitchen paper.
2. In the same pan, brown the sliced ceps in duck fat, then add a pinch of salt and Espelette pepper. Cook the pasta in salted boiling water with the bay leaves, garlic clove and olive oil until al dente. Drain and then immediately pour over cold water over the pasta to cool it down. Put the pasta into a salad bowl, then add the foie gras pieces, ceps and parsley.
3. For the chicken : stuff the chicken with the foie gras and pasta mix. If you have any left over, keep it aside to serve as a side dish. Tie the chicken up with a big needle and a cooking string. Sew the back properly to avoid spillage. Pour the duck fat into an oven dish and heat over a high flame. Add the whole chicken and quickly brown in the dish.
4. Add garlic cloves and bay leaves to the chicken dish, then transfer the whole thing into the oven. Cook for 50 minutes, basting throughout the cooking time.
5. When the chicken is cooked leave it to cool for 10 minutes. In the meantime, pour the chicken stock into the oven dish. Cook over a high heat and reduce. Pass through a sieve when ready.
6. Put the chicken onto a cutting board and pour the jus into a sauce dish for serving.