On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Christmas Odyssey - Rick Stein's Christmas Odyssey
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Matt Tebbutt’s warming stew makes use of an economical cut of meat, plus plenty of herbs and some orange for freshness
Method1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole dish over a high heat, add the lamb neck pieces (in batches) and fry for 2-3 minutes to brown on all sides. Remove each batch from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the carrot, celery, onion and the crushed garlic cloves to the dish, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden-brown.
3. Pour in the white wine to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the dish with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until most of the wine has evaporated.
4. Add the orange juice and zest, the chopped tomatoes and stock, mixing well. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the lamb neck pieces back to the casserole, along with any resting juices, the thyme and the bay leaf and simmer for a further 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
5. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle over the finely chopped garlic and parsley just before serving.
6. Serve the stew with mashed potato on the side.
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg neck of lamb, on the bone, cut into 4-5cm thick rounds
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 crushed, 1 finely chopped
- 150 ml white wine
- 1 orange, juice and half the zest
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml lamb or chicken stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 tbsp chopped parsley
- mashed potato, to serve