On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Simple Classics
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Traditional
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Power
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- makes 11
Part muffin, part brownie, part cupcake - Angela Nilsen's rich chocolate cakes will satisfy any Easter chocoholic
Method1. For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Line a muffin tin with 11 paper muffin cases. Put the chocolate and butter in a small pan. Stir the coffee with the milk to dissolve, then pour into the pan. Put over a low heat, and as soon as the chocolate and butter have melted, immediately remove the pan and leave to cool.
2. Measure the flour and tip into a large bowl. Take out 1 tablespoon of the flour and replace with the 1 tablespoon of cocoa. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and both the sugars, then rub the mixture between your fingers to get rid of any lumps of muscovado sugar. Beat the egg in a medium bowl and stir in the yogurt. Pour this into the bowl with the flour, then pour in the cooled, melted chocolate. Gently stir together a few times with a large metal spoon, just until mixed and without over-stirring or that will toughen the mixture. It should feel light and airy.
3. Divide the mixture between the paper cases. Bake for 20 minutes until risen and firm on top.
4. For the coffee icing: beat together the butter and icing sugar in a bowl. Stir the milk and coffee together, then beat into the icing until smooth. Spoon the icing into a large piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle, then pipe swirls of it over the cupcakes.
5. For the decoration: Using a teaspoon, sprinkle the chocolate vermicelli around the piped icing and sit the Easter eggs on top.
- 85 g dark chocolate, 60-70% cocoa solids, finely chopped
- 85 g butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp coffee granules
- 1 tbsp milk
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 85 g light muscovado sugar
- 50 g golden caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 150 ml Greek or Greek-style yogurt
For the coffee icing
For the decoration
- chocolate mini eggs
- chocolate vermicelli
Tips and suggestions
- To buy colourful, patterned paper cases to bake these cakes in, check out your local cake decorating shop, or buy these blue gingham baking cases from Amazon.