On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Matt Tebbutt’s savoury wheat-free torte is an elegant – and delicious – way to serve these three humble ingredients
1. Blanch the cabbage in a pan of boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then drain and refresh in cold water. Drain again and pat dry.
2. Heat a small drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the bacon for 4-5 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown. Add the cabbage and thyme leaves to the pan and toss well to mix.
3. Add the potato slices to the pan and stir to coat in the bacon fat.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C/gas 4.
5. Grease a non-stick ovenproof frying pan (about 25cm/10in) with butter and layer with a third of the potato slices. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle over half of the grated cheese. Dot with a bit more butter and top with half of the bacon and cabbage mixture.
6. Repeat the layering process with another portion of potato slices, seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sprinkling with the remaining cheese. Layer over the remaining bacon and cabbage mixture and finish with the final layer of potatoes. Dot with more butter.
7. Cook the torte on the hob over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, then transfer to the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden-brown and tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
8. Turn the torte out onto a chopping board. To serve, cut into wedges and serve with a rocket salad.