By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
When you fancy a very special egg dish for supper - try Matt Tebbutt’s onion tortilla. Top it off with your favourite salad and herb mix
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- The Maran breed of chicken lays wonderful chestnut brown coloured eggs which you may find available from specialist breeders. Use any organic, free-range chicken egg if you can’t find Maran eggs.
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. In a medium-large heavy-based frying pan, heat a good splash of olive oil, tip in the onions then slowly and gently fry over a low heat for about 25 minutes, or until they are soft and lightly coloured golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and lay them on kitchen paper to drain off any excess oil.
2. While the onions are frying, drop the potato slices into a pan of boiling salted water, then lower the heat and gently blanch for 3-4 minutes, or until tender and cooked but not falling apart. Remove and drain on kitchen paper until all the slices are dry, then dice them into cubes.
3. Break the eggs into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Beat well together then pour them into the pan with the onions, mixing well. Tip in the potatoes slices, gently mixing without breaking up the potatoes and shaking the pan as you do so to completely and evenly cover the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat slightly and cook for about 5 minutes until a dark golden crust has formed on the bottom of the tortilla.
4. Preheat the grill, then put the tortilla under it for a couple of minutes to finish cooking it through. Remove the tortilla from the pan onto a board or large serving plate. Allow to cool slightly before serving in wedges with a herb and leaf salad.