On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 2)
- 20:30 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 3)
- 21:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 4)
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Matt Tebbutt’s hearty casserole is comfort food at its most delicious
Method1. In a heavy-based casserole dish, heat a little olive oil and colour the sausage on all sides, then remove from the pan.
2. Add a knob of butter and a little more oil to the pan and gently fry the onions and garlic until lightly golden. Return the sausage to the pan.
3. Stir in the split peas and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the red wine and allow to bubble away for a minute or two to burn off the alcohol. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add the thyme and stock, cover and leave to gently simmer over a low heat for about 1 hour, or until the split peas are really tender.
4. Once the split peas are tender, taste the casserole and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Remove the sprigs of thyme.
5. In a small bowl, mix the crème fraiche and mustard until well combined.
6. To serve, slice the sausage into serving portions. Ladle a serving of peas into each bowl, then top with the sliced sausage and a dollop of the crème fraiche.