On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Istanbul
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Amalfi Coast
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 30 min
Bill Granger’s aromatic roast is wonderfully easy, leaving you plenty of time to put the accompaniments together
Method1. Preheat the oven to 240C/220C fan/Gas 8. Crush the cumin and coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle, or the end of a rolling pin. Put the pork in a large roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and rub with the crushed spices. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until the pork is browned, then remove from the oven.
2. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4. Moisten a large piece of baking parchment with water and place it over the pork, tucking the edges underneath. Return the joint to the oven and roast for 2 hours, or until tender.
3. Set the pork aside to rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving the meat with side dishes of braised potatoes and peppers with bay leaves.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 kg pork shoulder, on the bone, skin slashed
- olive oil, for drizzling
Tips and suggestions
- Romesco sauce
- If liked, add halved shallots, bay leaves and a halved garlic bulb to the roasting tin after the initial high-temperature cooking time. Pour over roughly 250ml white wine and continue cooking, covered with baking parchment as above. Add a little more wine if the pan juices look dry at any point. To serve, strain the pan juices through a fine sieve, spoon off any excess fat and serve the sauce over the pork.