On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Eggs and Cheese
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Summer Fruits
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Rodda's adds a touch of naughtiness to an otherwise-innocent lemon cake with thick slabs of clotted cream and lemon curd
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. Grease 2 x 18cm cake tins with the melted butter. Line the base of each tin with a circle of greaseproof paper.
2. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Beat together with an electric hand whisk for a good few minutes until the mixture is very light and fluffy.
3. Mix together the flour and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat the eggs into the creamed butter mix one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour mix with each one to prevent the mixture from curdling.
4. Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon until you have a soft, smooth cake batter. Divide the mixture between the tins, and level the tops with the back of a
spoon. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently with a finger are pale golden in colour.
5. Leave the cakes to cool in their tins for about 10 minutes before removing from the tins and leaving to cool completely on a wire rack. When cool enough to
handle slice each cake in half.
6. Place one cake slice upside down on a cake stand or plate. Spread with the lemon curd, sandwich with another slice of cake and spread with a thick
layer of clotted cream. Top with another slice of cake and spread again with lemon curd. Carefully top with the final cake and sandwich together. Dust the top with icing sugar and serve.
Recipe provided by Rodda's Cornish Clotted Cream
- melted butter, for greasing
- 225 g butter, at room temperature
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g self-raising flour, sifted, plus 1 tbsp extra for dusting
- 1 large unwaxed lemon, zest only
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 4-6 tbsp good quality lemon curd
- 150 g clotted cream, such as Rodda’s Cornish Clotted Cream
- icing sugar, for dusting