On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Every Cake Tells a Story
- 20:30 - Choccywoccydoodah - Show Business
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - New York
- Prep time:
- 1 hr, plus drying time
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- makes 12
Enjoy Angela Nilsen's pretty pink cupcakes for a Valentine's tea party for friends and family
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin or large cake cases.
2. For the cup cakes: put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together for several minutes with an electric mixer until paler in colour, light and creamy. Whisk in the beaten eggs a little at a time, whisking well between each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Lightly fold in the flour with a large metal spoon, about a third at a time. Next, fold in the yogurt and vanilla to make a soft dropping consistency. Divide the mixture between the paper cases then bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes have risen and feel firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin.
3. For the decoration and icing: colour one half of the fondant icing pale pink with the food colouring and leave the other half white. Roll out each half in turn quite thinly on a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar. Cut out 36 heart shapes with two different sized, small heart-shaped cutters, about 4cm and 2cm. Lay the hearts out on a board lined with baking parchment and leave to dry for about 1 hour. Meanwhile, make the butter icing. In a bowl, beat the butter and sifted icing sugar together with a wooden spoon, then pour in the vanilla extract and milk and beat again to make a soft, smooth icing.
4. When ready to decorate, spread a small teaspoonful of jam on top of each cup cake, just to cover the middle. Using a large piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle, pipe swirls of the icing over the jam. Decorate with the fondant hearts.
For the cupcakes
- 175 g butter, softened
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the decoration and butter icing
- 175 g ready-to-roll fondant icing
- edible pink or red paste food colouring
- 225 g butter, softened
- 400 g icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- raspberry jam
Tips and suggestions
- If you don’t have small heart-shaped cutters, you can make heart templates with card, and use them to cut around for the decorations.