Pear, walnut and halloumi salad
By: From: Annabel Langbein: The Free Range Cook
On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Annabel Langbein’s starter salad is a delightful contrast of juicy, crunchy and creamy textures
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- If preferred you can roast the walnuts dry on a baking tray at 180C/160C fan/Gas 4 for 12-15 minutes. If you choose this method, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the salad when tossing it.
- 4 tbsp neutral oil, such as grapeseed
- 125 g fresh walnut pieces
- 2 just-ripe pears
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 250 g halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 150 g watercress sprigs or baby spinach leaves
- 2 avocados, cut into chunks (optional)
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and fry the walnuts over a medium heat until lightly browned – about 2-3 minutes. Lift them out of the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Reserve the oil to dress the salad.
2. Halve and core the pears and slice each half into 6-8 wedges. Place in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the lemon juice.
3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a clean frying pan over a high heat. Fry the halloumi slices until they are golden on both sides.
4. Place the watercress or spinach in a large mixing bowl. Add the pears and their juices, the walnuts and their oil, the fried halloumi and the avocados, if using. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper then toss gently.
5. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl or individual plates to serve.