The ultimate chocolate cake
By: From: Annabel Langbein: The Free Range Cook
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
Click on the arrows to view more photos
Submitted by: AlexandraH82174
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
Annabel Langbein describes this fabulous cake as a secret weapon for dinner parties and special occasions
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- If not using at once, the cake will keep for about a week in a sealed container in the fridge. You can also freeze it un-iced.
For the cake
- 500 g self-raising flour
- 440 g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 200 g butter, softened
- 250 ml milk, or unsweetened yoghurt
- 3 large eggs
- 250 ml hot coffee
For the decoration
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the cake: heat the oven to 170C/150C fan/Gas 3. Grease the sides and line the base of a 30cm round cake tin or 2 x 20cm round cake tins with baking paper.
2. Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl or food processor and mix or blitz until the ingredients are combined and the butter is fully incorporated.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin or tins and smooth the top. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
4. For the decoration: pour the cream into a medium saucepan and heat until it is very hot, and almost but not boiling. You'll know it's ready when bubbles start to form around the edge of the pan. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Stand for 2 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is fully melted into the cream.
5. Whisk this chocolate ganache until it is smooth and glossy, then chill.
6. Slather the chilled chocolate ganache over the top of the cake. Top with fresh raspberries and serve.