On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Peking Duck
- 20:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Fish Pie
- 21:00 - Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation - State of the Nation
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
To demonstrate their versatility, Charita Jones cooks pig’s trotter two ways - one lot are roasted in the oven while the others simmer slowly on top of the stove
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Wash the trotters well and remove any excess hairs. This can be done by burning them off.
2. Cook 2 of the trotters in a pan. Toast the cumin seeds and a pinch of the Cajun seasoning in a medium saucepan. Put 2 trotters in the pan, then pour in enough water to completely cover them. Drop in one whole onion, the whole potato, celery stalks, half the sliced peppers and some salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for at least 2 hours or until the trotters are really tender, depending on their size.
3. At the same time, oven-cook the other 2 trotters. Rub them both in salt and lemon juice, then in the crushed chillies and the remaining Cajun seasoning, rubbing them in well. Place the trotters on a baking tray or small roasting tin with the remaining sliced peppers and remaining whole onion. Roast for 1½ - 2 hours or until really tender.
4. For the coleslaw: while the trotters are cooking, combine all the coleslaw ingredients in a bowl, then season to taste with salt and pepper and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
5. Serve both types of trotters with the coleslaw, baked sweet potatoes, reserved celery leaves, hot sauce and vinegar.
- 4 pig's trotters
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 onions
- 1 potato
- 3 celery, stalks, leaves reserved for serving
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- dash lemon juice
- 1 tsp crushed chillies
For the coleslaw
- 1 small white cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g raisins
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- splash cider vinegar