Chocolate meringues with chocolate cream
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
- makes 16-20
Rachel Allen’s chocolate-packed dessert is as light as a cloud and so simple to put together
For the meringues
- 3 egg whites
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 50 g medium dark chocolate, (around 50 per cent cocoa solids), grated or finely chopped
For the cream
- 100 g dark chocolate, (around 70 per cent cocoa solids)
- 50 ml double cream
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. For the chocolate meringues: whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Then, whisking continuously, gradually add in the caster sugar until the mixture reaches stiff peaks and is thick and glossy.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and grated chocolate, then gently fold into the meringue. Spoon tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking trays and transfer to the oven immediately. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the meringues lift easily off the paper. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
4. For the chocolate cream: place the chocolate and cream into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl) and leave until the chocolate has melted. Stir to combine, then pour into another bowl and set aside to cool and thicken.
5. When the meringues and chocolate cream are cooled, sandwich the meringues with a tablespoonful of the chocolate cream and serve.