On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Eggs and Cheese
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Summer Fruits
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
Especially Delicious swaps flour for ground almonds to make this fruity, boozy sponge cake super moist (and gluten free)
Method1. Grease and line a 8 inch cake tin; preheat oven to 150C/140C fan/ gas 3.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks into two separate large mixing bowls. Whisk the egg whites until soft peak. Whisk the yolks and sugar together until pale and thick, stir in the ground almonds and zest.
3. Fold in the whisked egg whites. Lastly, fold in the chopped apricots. Pour into the lined tin and bake for around an hour until a skewer comes out clean.
4. For the syrup: put all the ingredients into a saucepan
and bring to boil. Simmer for around 10 minutes – be careful it doesn’t over boil.
Turn the heat off and leave to cool whilst cake is cooking.
5. When the cake is out of the oven turn it out onto a plate, make holes on
top of the cake with a skewer and pour over the syrup. Leave the syrup to soak in
for a few hours.
Recipe supplied by Especially Delicious
For the cake
- 6 large eggs
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 g ground almonds
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 50 g chopped apricots
For the syrup
Tips and suggestions
- Turn out the cake on the plate you want to serve it on so you don’t need to move it again.