On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
Especially Delicious swaps flour for ground almonds to make this fruity, boozy sponge cake super moist (and gluten free)
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Turn out the cake on the plate you want to serve it on so you don’t need to move it again.
For the cake
- 6 large eggs
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 g ground almonds
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 50 g chopped apricots
For the syrup
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Grease and line a 8 inch cake tin; preheat oven to 150C/140C fan/ gas 3.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks into two separate large mixing bowls. Whisk the egg whites until soft peak. Whisk the yolks and sugar together until pale and thick, stir in the ground almonds and zest.
3. Fold in the whisked egg whites. Lastly, fold in the chopped apricots. Pour into the lined tin and bake for around an hour until a skewer comes out clean.
4. For the syrup: put all the ingredients into a saucepan
and bring to boil. Simmer for around 10 minutes – be careful it doesn’t over boil.
Turn the heat off and leave to cool whilst cake is cooking.
5. When the cake is out of the oven turn it out onto a plate, make holes on
top of the cake with a skewer and pour over the syrup. Leave the syrup to soak in
for a few hours.
Recipe supplied by Especially Delicious