On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas
- 22:00 - Naked Chef : Christmas in New York - Naked Chef : Christmas in New York
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 15 min
Aaron Craze combines beef, beer and spices for his British curry and tops it off with Indian-style dumplings
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
2. Place the beef, onion, garlic, curry paste, cauliflower, spinach and tomato ketchup in a large casserole dish. Pour over the beer, mix well, cover and place into a preheated oven for approximately 2 hours, stirring halfway through.
3. For the dumplings: heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions for 10 minutes until softened and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly. Place the flour in a bowl and rub in the spread. Add the onions and water and mix until a smooth dough is formed. Divide into 8 balls.
4. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, drop the dumplings into the casserole and cook uncovered for the remaining cooking time.
5. Serve the masala with the dumplings and rice or mashed potato and extra steamed spinach.
- 450 g lean braising steak, or stewing cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- 150 g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 75 g spinach
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 300 ml beer
For the dumplings
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 75 g low fat margarine
- 3-4 tbsp water
- Rice or mashed potato
- Steam spinach