On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 2)
- 20:30 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 3)
- 21:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 4)
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min, plus cooling
Valentine Warner’s sweet nutty treat is great for wrapping in cellophane and giving as presents, or for snacking on while out walking
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Scatter the nuts onto a baking sheet then toast in the oven for 6-10 minutes or until golden but not burnt. Let them cool slightly, but while they are still warm, rub the skins off the hazelnuts and walnuts. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
2. Tip the sugar into a heavy-based, wide non-stick pan, add a splash of water and gently heat over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, without stirring. Continue heating the sugar until it reaches an even light brown colour all over, then take it one step further to a slightly deeper brown, watching it carefully so it doesn’t burn. Scatter in a pinch of salt, then the toasted whole nuts and shake the pan so the nuts become well coated in the caramel.
3. Quickly and carefully pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Allow it to cool completely, so it sets and hardens. Once its hard you can break the brittle into pieces ready to eat or wrap as gifts.