On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Noodles, Dim Sum and Dumplings
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- Makes 12 cupcakes
Even if you’re not a fan of traditional Christmas pud, you’ll love these chocolate, cherry and almond cakes from Celia Plender View more cupcake recipes
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
2. Put the cocoa powder in a bowl, then gradually stir in the boiling water until you have a smooth, thick paste. Leave to cool.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale.
4. Gradually mix in the beaten egg alternating with the flour and cocoa mix until everything is incorporated. Finally, stir through the almonds, cherries and milk or rum.
5. Place equal quantities of the mix into a greased and cocoa dusted 12 hole muffin tin then bake for 15-20 minutes until springy to the touch.
6. For the glaze: heat the sugar in a pan with 6 tablespoons of water until the sugar has melted and you have a thick glossy sauce. Add the cocoa and stir until smooth.
7. Still in the tin, pierce the cakes with a tooth pick or skewer and then drizzle on the sticky sauce. Allow to cool in the tray for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
8. Melt the white chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of boiling water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the pan. Spoon the chocolate over the puddings so that it drizzles down the sides, then allow to cool until totally set – about 30 minutes.
9. Using your writing icing, pipe berries and holly leaves on to the tops of the puds.
Inspired? Find more cupcake recipes
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 150 ml butter, softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 50 g toasted flaked almonds
- 100 g glacé cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp milk, or dark rum
For the glaze
- 100 g white chocolate
- red and green writing icing