On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians: Still Hungry - Lazio and Machismo
- 21:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 21:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 10 min
Tuxford & Tebbutt slow cook their marinated beef in ale and stir through stilton cheese for a luxurious, glossy finish
MethodTuxford & Tebbutt
1. For the pie filling: place the beef, garlic, thyme, peppercorns and ale into a bowl. Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
2. Remove the beef from the marinade, pat dry with kitchen paper and
dredge in the seasoned flour. Strain the marinade through a fine sieve into a clean bowl and set aside.
3. Heat the oil and one tablespoon of the butter in a flameproof casserole dish and fry the beef in small batches for 2-3 minutes each time, or until browned all over.
4. Once the meat is browned, remove from the casserole dish and set aside.
Return the casserole dish to the heat and fry the mushrooms and shallots for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
5. Return the beef and the reserved marinating liquid to the casserole and add the beef stock. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1½ hours, or until the beef is tender.
6. Strain off half of the cooking liquid from the casserole dish and set aside to make gravy for serving. Crumble the stilton into the casserole and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then set aside to cool.
7. Divide the pastry into six pieces, then roll out each one until a little larger than the top of the pie dish. Brush the lip of the pie dish with egg yolk; place over the pastry and press to the dish edge to seal. Trim off excess pastry. Make a slit in the centre for the steam to escape and slash the top lightly to decorate.
8. Beat the egg yolk lightly together with a little water, then brush the mix on top of the pastry. Bake in a pre-heated oven set to 200°C for about 25 mins until pastry is golden brown and filling is piping hot
Recipe supplied by Tuxford & Tebbutt
- 1 kg braising steak, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunches fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 400 ml Leicestershire pale ale
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 100 g chestnut mushrooms
- 8 shallots, peeled, halved
- 500 ml beef stock
- 75 g stilton cheese, such as Tuxford & Tebbutt, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500 g frozen puff pastry, defrosted if frozen
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg yolk, for glazing