On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Potatoes and Veg
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Puddings
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Life in the Old Bird?
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
Matt Tebbutt shares his recipe for this winter warmer British classic of pork and herb balls with a rich onion gravy
Method1. For the faggots: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and gently fry the onion, garlic, thyme and sage together for 3-4 minutes, until softened but not browned.
3. Tip into a large mixing bowl and add all the remaining faggots ingredients, apart from the caul fat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix thoroughly to combine (clean hands are best for the job) then shape the mixture into four equal-sized balls.
4. Preheat a roasting tin that will fit the faggots snugly. Wrap each ball in 2-3 layers of caul fat, overlapping the fat to completely coat the mixture.
5. Pour a drizzle of oil into the hot roasting tin then add the faggots and cook in the oven for about 25 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times, until golden-brown and cooked through.
6. For the gravy: while the faggots are cooking, melt the butter in pan over a medium heat, add the onions and fry, stirring every few minutes, for about 10-15 minutes, until softened and golden.
7. Pour in the port, increase the heat to high and boil for about 3-4 minutes, until reduced in volume by half. Pour in the beef stock, bring back to the boil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Boil for about 10 minutes until reduced to a thick gravy.
8. Take the faggots out of the oven and turn the oven down to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Drain the excess oil off the faggots then pour the gravy over them. Cover with foil, or a tight-fitting lid and return to the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, basting every now and again with the gravy.
9. Remove from the oven. If the gravy isn't thick enough, remove the faggots with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Transfer the gravy to a saucepan and boil until reduced to a thick gravy.
10. Serve the faggots and gravy on warm plates with peas on the side.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying, plus extra for roasting
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small bunches thyme, leaves only
- 1 small bunches sage, chopped leaves only
- 500 g pork offal, (liver and heart, or just liver), coarsely minced
- 300 g pork belly, rind removed, coarsely minced
- 70 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- generous pinches nutmeg
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120 g caul fat, soaked in cold water for an hour or so, drained and cut into 8-12 squares (optional)
For the gravy
Tips and suggestions
- If you don't have caul fat (the lining of a pig's stomach), you can lightly dust the faggots in flour instead.