On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Posh Nosh
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Street Food
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Finale
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Maria Elia’s velvety soup makes a nourishing autumn meal, especially when topped with chorizo
Method1. Heat the butter in a large heavy-based pan, add the shallots and fry gently for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the garlic, thyme and drained artichokes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the sherry, chestnuts and chicken stock and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce to a simmer, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the artichokes are tender. While the artichokes are cooking, prepare the chorizo.
4. Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan until hot, and fry the chorizo slices for 3 minutes. Remove the chorizo from the pan and reserve the oil.
5. Blend the soup with a hand blender or in a jug blender until smooth.
6. Return the soup to the pan, stir in the cream, check the seasoning and warm through. Add a little extra stock or water, if it seems too thick.
7. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, top with chorizo slices, drizzle with the reserved chorizo oil and sprinkle over the chopped parsley. Accompany with crusty bread.
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme, leaves only
- 1 kg jerusalem artichoke, peeled, sliced and placed in acidulated water
- 50 ml sherry
- 55 g cooked chestnuts
- 1 litre chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages, sliced
- olive oil, for frying
- 200 ml cream
- chopped flat-leaf parsley
- crusty bread
Tips and suggestions
- To make Maria's soup vegetarian, use vegetable stock and substitute the chorizo for fried mushrooms or crushed hazelnuts