On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The West Country
- 21:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - Scotland
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Pies
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Maria Elia serves her quick and easy wild boar with white bean purée and sautéed fennel
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Cut the fennel in half lengthways and then into quarters or eighths depending on how large it is. Toss with a little olive oil, some sea salt and pepper, and the lemon juice and zest. Place the fennel on a baking tray and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Rub the steaks with a little oil, season them with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the fennel seeds and chilli flakes on both sides. Heat a griddle pan (without oil) and add the steaks. Sear over a medium heat for 4 minutes on each side.
3. Meanwhile, heat another 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over a low heat until browned. Add the beans, stock cube and 200ml of water and cook until the beans are hot. Remove the pan from the heat and purée in a hand blender. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
4. Serve the steaks on the bean purée, with the roast fennel and some purple sprouting broccoli, and drizzle with olive oil to finish.
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 fennel, bulb
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 4 boneless wild boar, steaks
- 4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 400 g can cannellini beans, or haricot beans, drained
- chicken stock cubes
- purple sprouting broccoli, to serve