On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Eastern Europe
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Hot and Cold
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Risotto
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 2 hours marinating
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Creamy, smoky aubergines and meaty fillets is Maria Elia’s winning combination for a great mid-week meal
Method1. For the lamb: crush the garlic with the sea salt using a pestle and mortar, then mix in the black pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and spices. Rub the mixture all over the lamb fillets and leave to marinate for at least two hours in the fridge, or overnight if possible.
2. For the baba ghanoush: prick the aubergine all over with a fork, then place directly over a gas flame for 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until blackened all over. Alternatively, place the aubergine on the top shelf under a hot grill for the same amount of time.
3. Set the aubergine aside until cool enough to handle, then cut it in half down its length. Holding onto the stalk, scoop the flesh out into a colander to drain off the juices. Discard the skin.
4. Transfer the aubergine flesh into a food processor and pulse briefly to roughly chop. Add the tahini, garlic, cumin and a squeeze of lemon juice, then blend to a rough paste. Add more lemon juice and salt to taste.
5. To cook the lamb, heat a griddle pan until smoking and grill the lamb fillets for 2-3 minutes on each side (for medium rare), or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest on warm plates.
6. For the salad: toss together the watercress leaves, mint leaves and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, pomegranate molasses, a dash of water and the garlic clove and drizzle over the salad.
7. To serve, thickly slice the lamb fillets and serve inside the warm pita bread with the salad. Garnish with a few pomegranate seeds.
For the lamb
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 4 x 200 g lamb fillets, trimmed of excess fat
For the baba ghanoush
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tbsp tahini, paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- pinch ground cumin
- 1 lemon, juice only
For the salad
- bunch watercress, leaves picked
- small bunch mint leaves
- small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- dash water
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 warm pitta bread
- handful pomegranate, seeds