On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Feel Good Food
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Family
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Summer Pleasures
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Tom Kerridge’s family-style supper puts an English twist on an Italian classic
Method1. For the cannelloni: heat a little olive oil in a medium frying pan, add the onion and cook over a low heat for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Remove from the heat and tip the onion into a large bowl. Split the sausages lengthways, then remove and discard the outer casings. Mix the sausage meat, onion and chopped sage together, then season with salt and black pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 180/160C fan/gas 4.
3. Lay a lasagne sheet on the work surface, then spoon a line of sausage mix onto one end of it (the narrower end), using about two tablespoons of the mixture. Roll the pasta up around the stuffing (just once, or else there will be too much pasta) to make cannelloni shapes and trim off the excess. Repeat the process until you have no more sausage mix left, then set aside.
4. For the tomato sauce: pour a splash of olive oil into a large saucepan, add the garlic and cook on a medium-low heat for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, season, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Blend the sauce and finish with a scattering of basil.
5. Pour half the tomato sauce into the bottom of an ovenproof dish that is big enough to take the cannelloni in one layer. Lay the filled cannelloni on top, having the joins underneath, then pour and spread the rest of the sauce over them. Put spoonfuls of the ricotta all over the sauce and top with grated parmesan. Bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is golden and the sauce is bubbling. Serve with salad.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 600 g sausages
- 2 tbsp chopped sage, leaves
- 6-8 fresh lasagne sheets
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- handful basil, chopped
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- freshly grated parmesan
- salad leaves, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- You can also make this recipe using won ton wrappers instead of sheets of lasagne