On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min, for meat; 1hr 1/2 for chutney
Matt Tebbutt serves a forgotten Bath delicacy of cured pig’s cheeks with tangy tomato chutney
Method1. For the chutney: heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for about 10 minutes to soften. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the chopped chillies, both seeds and flesh, then the mustard seeds and tomatoes. Simmer gently for 1 ½ hours until most of the liquid has evaporated.
2. Heat the sugar and vinegar in a medium saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Pour this into the tomato mixture and bring back to the boil. Season with salt, remove from the heat. To store, pour into sterilised jars, cool then keep in the fridge.
3. For the meat: preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Trim the Bath chaps so you are left with the meatier part of the cheeks. Cut into a neat-looking portion, place in a baking dish and score the fatty outside layer.
4. Mix together the mustard, brown sugar and honey to make a glaze, then pour this over the trimmed cheeks so they are both evenly covered. Stud the flesh with the cloves and bake for 20 minutes, or until the glaze has thickened and the meat is glistening and heated through.
5. Dress the salad leaves and herbs with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and season. Slice the hot Bath chaps and serve them with the salad and some chutney on the side.
For the chutney (makes 1 litre)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 tsp finely grated garlic
- 3 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 6 fresh red chilli, roasted, skinned and chopped
- 3 tsp yellow mustard seeds, toasted
- 1 kg canned chopped tomatoes, or equal weight in ripe fresh tomatoes, skinned
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 ml white wine vinegar
For the meat
- 2 Bath chaps, (pigs cheeks), brined, poached and cooled by a butcher
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 10 cloves
- handful each watercress, rocket and baby spinach, any tough stalks removed
- handful each mint, flat leaf parsley and chervil
- extra virgin olive oil, to dress the salad