On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Christmas Odyssey - Rick Stein's Christmas Odyssey
Submitted by: Kerry-Cashman
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
These simple yet pretty cupcakes from Pascale Cumberbatch leave the decoration open to your imagination
Method1. Turn on the oven and heat to 180 degrees. Choose 12 pretty fairy cake (or small cupcake) liners and place them in a fairy cake/muffin tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and mix in the vanilla essence.
3. Stir in the flour swiftly and with a light touch. Don't overmix. Add a couple of spoons of milk to keep the mix from being too thick and dense. It should just about drop off a spoon.
4. Working quickly, fill the cake liners. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cakes are nicely risen and golden.
5. Remove the cakes and let them cool on a rack.
6. To prepare the icing, mix the water into the icing sugar and give it a good stir until it is smooth and glossy. If you wish, you can add a few drops of food colour to tint the icing.
Recipe from Pascale Cumberbatch of Extra Relish
- 150 g butter, softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2-3 tbsp milk
For the fondant icing
- 300 g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp water
Tips and suggestions
- For the icing, you can replace one or two spoons of water with lemon juice if you want lemony icing.
Decorating is especially fun and satisfying. Flowers, glitter, icing sugar, sprinkles, berries...