On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Game and Mushrooms
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Charcuterie
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
Method1. For the banana cupcakes: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Lay out cupcake cases. If you use silicon you can lay them on a flat baking tray, if you use paper ones, use a bun tin to make the cakes hold their shape.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar for at least 4 minutes with an electric hand whisk and beat air into the mix so it fluffs up.
4. Bit by bit, sieve in the flour and baking powder and add bits of butter, whisking the mixture each time to ensure a smooth texture, until fully mixed, then mix in the banana.
5. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases, ensuring you smooth the tops down - it doesn’t have to be perfect.
6. Put the cupcakes into the oven for 15-20 minutes until they feel spongy and the tops are golden brown.
7. Once out of the oven, cool on a wire rack.
8. For the toffee buttercream: in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, melt the fudge, milk, plus 3 tablespoons of the butter, whisking until smooth. Take off the heat to cool a little.
9. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the icing sugar and remaining butter, then slowly mix in the fudge. If it’s too runny, place in the fridge for 5 minutes, then whisk it when you get it out again.
10. Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes. I sprinkled mine with yellow sanding sugar, and Dr. Oetker's Chocolate Stars.
Recipe and images supplied by Lay the Table
For the banana cupcakes
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g margarine
- 2 eggs
- 3 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the toffee buttercream